Sunday, June 05, 2016

Results From Springfield VA -- Quigley Scores KO Of The Year Candidate In Main Event!

Here are the results from the Jeter Promotions card held Saturday night at the ABC Sports Complex in Springfield, VA:

In the main event, Gaithersburg, MD super welterweight Gerome "GQ" Quigley scored a vicious first-round knockout over veteran Reggie "Two-Gun" Nash of Grand Rapids, MI. Quigley rocked Nash with a right hand on top of Nash's head that dropped him to his knees.  Nash was able to recover from that knockdown but a few seconds later, Quigley landed a powerful left-right combination that sent Nash crashing to the canvas.  Referee Freddy Corritone did not have to finish the count before the bout was stopped at 2:33.

Quigley remains undefeated with a record of 15-0, 14 KO's while Nash falls to 10-39-1, two KO's.  The fact that Quigley registered a Beltway Boxing Knockout of the Year candidate is even more impressive considering that three weeks prior to the bout, Quigley was hit by a truck while doing roadwork in preparation for the bout.  Quigley, fortunately, suffered only minor injuries.

The co-feature saw Jeter Promotions signee Steve Weimer of York, PA score a ruthless first-round stoppage of Damian Archer of Zebulon, NC.  Weimer jumped on Archer early, pummeling him into a neutral corner.  Referee Alisha Daniels saw enough and the bout was stopped at just 34 seconds.  Weimer is now 11-0, three KO's while Archer is 0-2.

In the only bout on the card to go the distance, undefeated Clinton, MD lightweight Cobia "The Soldier" Breedy won a four-round unanimous decision over Stephon McIntyre of Atlanta, GA in a rematch of a bout that took place two months ago in the same location.  In this rematch, Breedy was more aggressive early in the contest and took the fight to his opponent.  McIntyre's offensive attempts decreased during the contest and Breedy would go on to win by a 40-36 shutout on all three scorecards. Breedy is now 7-0, four KO's while McIntyre is 2-21-2.

Rockville, MD middleweight Francisco Bustos scored a second-round TKO over Corey Macon of Durham, NC. Bustos ended a rather strange second round that saw both boxers and the referee trip and fall over each other throughout. Midway through the round, Bustos landed a solid left hand that sent Macon reeling. Referee Corritone saw the damage and moved in to check Macon's condition. As he moved forward, Corritone tripped over the charging Bustos and fell. As Corritone recovered, Bustos continued to punish Macon before Corritone stopped the contest at 2:11.  Bustos remains undefeated at 5-0, three KO's while Macon falls to 0-2-1.

Palmer Park, MD super lightweight Drayvontay Speed Rawls won by first-round TKO in bizarre fashion when Speed Rawls and his opponent, David Perez of Pittsburgh, PA clashed heads.  Perez dropped to his knees and could not continue.  The bout was stopped at 2:12.  Speed Rawls is now 7-0-1, five KO's while Perez remains winless at 0-5-1.

In the opening contest, Jesus "Nightmare" Saucedo of York, PA brutalized veteran Shane Gierke of Youngstown, OH for three rounds before the bout was stopped at 1:04 of the third. Saucedo, returning to the ring after an almost four-year absence, pummeled Gierke with head and body shots, knocking Gierke down three times before the bout was stopped.  Saucedo's record rises to 5-2-1, two KO's while Gierke drops to 5-41-2, four KO's.

We talked to both Gerome Quigley and Cobia Breedy after their wins.

No comments: