The last time the Showtime Network came to Washington, DC on April 19, it televised a great card with very talented boxers. However, no local boxer made the televised portion of the card.
That will not be the case when Showtime returns to the Nation's Capitol with a ShoBox card on Friday, June 27 at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center. The televised portion will be a quadruple-header in which ALL four bouts will feature Beltway Boxers.
The main event will have undefeated Burke, VA middleweight Antoine "Action" Douglas (14-0, nine KO's). The co-feature will include undefeated Bowie, MD super middleweight "The King's Son" Jerry Odom (11-0, 10 KO's) in an eight-round contest. One other televised bout will have undefeated DC welterweight Dusty Hernandez Harrison (21-0, 11 KO's) in another eight-round contest. All three are looking for opponents.
The fourth TV bout has been made. It will match undefeated Forestville, MD junior middleweight Alantez "SlyAza" Fox (12-0-1, four KO's) in an eight-round contest against "Apollo Kidd" John Thompson of Newark, NJ (14-1, five KO's).
A fifth Beltway Boxer is slated to be on the non-televised undercard. Undefeated Baltimore, MD welterweight Cecil McCalla (18-0, six KO's) is scheduled to be in a bout slated for either six or eight rounds.
Three bouts featuring out-of-town boxers are slated to round out the card. Albany, NY junior welterweight "The Baby-Faced Beast" Mike Faragon (19-1, nine KO's)will be in a six-round contest. Undefeated Newark, NJ super featherweight Wanzell Ellison (11-0-1, five KO's) will compete in a six-round encounter. Also, undefeated junior lightweight Samuel Teah of Philadelphia, PA (3-0, two KO's) will be in a four-round bout.
The card is being promoted by GH3 Promotions and Greg Cohen Promotions in association with All-In Entertainment. The matchmaker is the Beltway's own Ross Molovinsky.
This card will cap off what could be a very memorable June for the Beltway. In the coming weeks, we will have updates on the following events:
1. The second day of competition for the PVA team at the Junior Olympics in Philadelphia.
2. The Beltway weekend of boxing on Friday, June 13 (Keystone card at Rosecroft Raceway in Fort Washington, MD) and Saturday, June 14 (The Jeter Promotions/RBA Promotions card at the ABC Sports Complex in Springfield, VA)
3. The WBO Featherweight title shot for Gary Russell, Jr. on Friday, June 13 at the StubHub Center in Carson, CA.
4. Mike Reed's bout at Bally's Center in Atlantic City, NJ on Saturday, June 14.
5. The second part of the Beltway weekend of the 27th -- the Ponytail Promotions card at Du Burns Arena in Baltimore on Saturday, June 28.