Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Mike Dietrich Passes!



(Photo by Linda "Great Shot" Siadys)

This one is really tough and very sad. Baltimore heavyweight boxer “The American Dream” Mike Dietrich died suddenly Tuesday in Baltimore, MD. Dietrich was 26 years old. No word was given on the cause of death.

Dietrich was a five-time national amateur boxing champion and was 12-1, six KO’s as a pro. Dietrich was in training for a bout on the March 20th boxing card at Du Burns Arena in Baltimore.

Dietrich made his pro debut on November 19, 2004 with a four-round unanimous decision over Victor James in Baltimore then followed that with his first pro knockout on December 3, 2004 at the Blue Horizon in Philadelphia, PA. Dietrich knocked out Jermaine Livingston in the first round.

Dietrich’s career was momentarily derailed by an incident in December of 2005 when he was stabbed during an altercation. Dietrich returned to action in May of 2007 with a four-round unanimous decision victory over Jonathan Felton at Du Burns Arena in Baltimore.

After two straight knockout wins, Dietrich suffered his only loss – a third-round knockout to Wes Taylor on April 18, 2008 in Pikesville, MD. Ironically, Dietrich was scheduled to meet Taylor in a rematch on March 20. Dietrich’s last bout was a first-round knockout over Kevin Johnson on November 25 at Du Burns Arena.

Funeral arrangements have been completed for Dietrich. The viewing will be held on Sunday, March 7 at Connelly Funeral Parlor, 7110 Sollers Point Road, Dundalk, MD. The times will be 3-5 PM and 7-9 PM. The funeral will be held on Monday, March 8 at 10 AM, also at Connelly Funeral Parlor.

There will be a repast at Baltimore Boxing and Fitness, 506 1/2 S. Broadway in Baltimore after the funeral.

BATB sends its deepest condolences to the Dietrich Family as well as to everyone who enjoyed watching Mike Dietrich box. This video is on the Baltimore Boxing website and it is a fitting tribute to this young man who was a true fighter -- in and out of the ring.




.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

MIKE YOU WILL BE MISSED.


TONY JETER

Anonymous said...

RIP MIKE.. A TRUE BELTWAY WARRIOR

Anonymous said...

Mike Dietrich was like a son,a brother & a best friend to me. He had one of the biggest hearts,and best personalities in and out of the ring. When Mike walked into a room it would light up because of the charisma he would bring to it.
mike, I will do my best to make your legacy live on...love you bother...rest in peace.
Jake Smith

Joe Hensley said...

This is so sad. 26 years old, such a shame. My condolences go out to his friends and family and those that were close to him.

Anonymous said...

Mike was a great guy. We will miss him a great deal. I enjoyed his ameture as well as his pro boxing.
Brad Dudley

Anonymous said...

I second everything Jake already said. Mike was a good friend and brought so much to the gym with his humor, personality, "Work-Hourse" attitude & training, etc.

Mike always let us know he loved us as soon as we seen him he would hug and tell us that.

The jokes he would play on Jake & stuff he would say while we where training were priceless!

Mike we will always love you big brother, and you dont even know how much you are missed!


RIP

Your Baltimore Boxing Brother,

Boul

Anonymous said...

I did not know Mike personally or had the chance to see him fight.. However, I read stories about him over the years.. May he rest in peace.. Ringside Report.com rings the ten count for our fallen brother in boxing..

"Bad" Brad

Anonymous said...

Mike Dietrich rest in peace. Condolences to the entire Dietrich family.

The Fight Doctor (J. Spears)

ACW said...

Damn, I'm only 26. Way too young :(

RIP Mike.

Anonymous said...

This is a very sad and difficult time for Maryland's boxing community. Mike Dietrich, who was widely recognized for his passion for boxing, boxing ability and outgoing personality, will be truly missed. Our deepest condolences are extended to his family and friends.

Patrick Pannella
Executive Director
Maryland State Athletic Commission

Anonymous said...

Rip Mike. I knew you my whole life and you were a great person with a huge heart. I will miss you for sure

Nick Kisner

Anonymous said...

R.I.P. Mike Dietrich



Tyrell Samuel

Anonymous said...

I want to send my condolences to Mike Dietrich Family on behalf of myself & Upton boxing Gym. This is a constent reminder to all of us, including myself that tomorrow is not a gurantee to any of us, young & old! So anyone thats a fan or boxer, lets respect each other a more & make Boxing along our Beltway more fun & not personal win, lose or draw! Together as a collective unit, lets work together to make Mike Dietrich Legacy live on & strong! R.I.P. Mike Dietrich



Upton Boxing Gym

Anonymous said...

i saw mike one maybe 2 times,and im crying right now..because im just thinking bout jake and mike paskel and tony..i know that he was there boy and i know how they feel,and i want to say sorry for all the bad stuff i done to any one in b-more,i know its hard right now,but im here if you need me 858 213 3439 my name is henry buchanan some people call me sugarpoo..i love every body in b-more.im sorry for every thing

Anonymous said...

i saw mike one maybe 2 times,and im crying right now..because im just thinking bout jake and mike paskel and tony..i know that he was there boy and i know how they feel,and i want to say sorry for all the bad stuff i done to any one in b-more,i know its hard right now,but im here if you need me 858 213 3439 my name is henry buchanan some people call me sugarpoo..i love every body in b-more.im sorry for every thing plz forgive me..i didnt mean to hurt anyone,jake smith dont worry buddy,you still got one brother here in DC..henry(sugarpoo)buchanan..

Anonymous said...

I always enjoyed his company and his passion in the ring. I am so sad for his passing and hope for comfort to his inner circle of family and friends. This is the saddest of 10 counts. God bless you Mike. Coach Hal, Fernando, Alex and the kids at Main St Gym

Anonymous said...

Well said Upton.
Mike you were a warrior. My boxers had some good sparring sessions with you over the years. My
condolences to your family, friends, Jake and everybody at Baltimore Boxing gym.
RIP Mike.

Jim McNally
Navy Boxing

Anonymous said...

MIKE THIS IS YOUR BOY MIKE PASCHALL SAYING THAT YOU WILL BE TRUELY MISSED AND THAT I LOVE AND MISS YOU DEARLY THE TIME WE SPENT HANGING OUT LIKE OUR DISNEY WORLD AND BRAZIL TRIP DOING WHAT WE LOVE DOING.I WILL NEVER FORGET YOU MADE ALL THE TRIPS AND TIME WE SPENT TOGETHER A GREAT TIME. SO NOW YOU GET TO REST IN PEACE AND LEAVE ALL THIS FIGHTING SHIT TO ME JUST LOOK DOWN ON FIGHT NIGHTS AND SENT SOME OF THAT CRAZY PUNCHING POWER TO ME. YOU WILL BE LOVED AND MISSED BY MANY LOVE ALWAYS MIKE PASCHALL

Anonymous said...

My condolences to the Dietrich family, friends and boxing community. I am truly sorry for your loss.

Safe passage & R.I.P. Warrior,
Garth Hedger

CHARLIE MONROE said...

ITS A SAD DAY ON THE PASSING OF MIKE DIETRICH,MIKE I MADE YOUR GIRL A MEMORIAL SHIRT WITH YOU ON IT SO YOU CAN STAY CLOSE TO HER HEART,ITS JUST SAD TO SEE SOMEONE YOU KNOW AND WHO WAS FULFILLING HIS DREAM TO LEAVE THIS EARTH.I THINK GOD NEEDED A DOOR MAN AT THE GATES TO KEEP ALL THE BAD ONES TRYING TO SNEAK IN.REST IN PEACE AND MAY GOD BLESS YOUR SOUL.



CHARLIE MONROE

Anonymous said...

mike your always be in our heart,
thanks for all the great times,

Brady Sensibaugh

Anonymous said...

RIP mike dietrich

coach kenny&upton boxing

Anonymous said...

I love n miss u uncle Mikey! R.I.P

~Caitlyn Dietrich~

Caitlyn Dietrich said...

I love n miss u Uncle Mikey!! R.I.P

~Caitlyn Dietrich~