Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Local Boxing Notables Receive Honors!



Photo taken by Walter "Schoolboy" Sarnoi.

Two notable boxing names in the local area recently received worldwide honors.

Local referee Kenny Chevalier (at right in above picture) recently returned from Johannesburg, South Africa where he was the third man in the ring for the IBF Bantamweight title elimination bout between Yonnhy Perez and Silence Mabuza. Perez won the bout by 10th round TKO. Chevalier has refereed a number of world title bouts throughout his career, including Sharmba Mitchell-Reggie Green and William Joppy-Ray McElroy.

Former DC Boxing and Wrestling Commission chair Paul Artisst was recently named to the board of directors for the International Boxing Federation (IBF). Among his duties will be to supervise IBF title bouts throughout the world. Artisst has served as a judge for many national and world championship fights.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paul is deserving of anything good that comes his way .He has paid many many dues in this sport and been a stand up individual and an asset to the sport for years both on the armature and professional
level.Best wishes to you paul and Kenny.
Scott Farmer

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Mr. Artist!!

Anonymous said...

There you go putting my name out there again. I didn't do that but I have gone on record as saying Kenny Chevalier is not a good referee or judge. As far as being the worst of all time, I don't know about that one. I haven't been around long enough to tell!

Thanks,

This really is Joe Hensley. I did not make the previous comment.

Anonymous said...

I didn't write either of those comments. Somebody is just messing with me. I know who it is but I'm too tired to get in to it with them.

Thanks,

Joe Hensley

Anonymous said...

It's political. Kinda like affirmative action. They have to give an award to one leprechaun a year. Kenny blows, Waleed gets my respect... I'd sign my name but I'm just a fan no one would know me....