Thursday, January 18, 2018

Respectful Quotes Coming From Final Spence-Peterson Workout!

As the big bout between IBF Welterweight champion Errol "The Truth" Spence, Jr. and former world super lightweight champion Lamont Peterson approaches on Saturday, January 20th, the two men had their final workout session in Brooklyn, NY on Wednesday.  The two men also made comments that were very respectful towards each other.  First, the challenger:

(Photos by Amanda Westcott/Showtime)



"The hard work is over and now we're just fine-tuning and making sure everything is perfect for Saturday. It's been a great training camp that was tough at times, but that's exactly how we want it.

"Errol Spence is clearly a great fighter. I can see why people revere him in that way. But on Saturday, we're going to give him a fight and he's going to have to prove it.

"I don't have to worry about what anyone says about us leading up to this fight. I know Errol well and it happened that it was time for us to fight. This is what we do so we'll definitely give it our all on Saturday. My mentality is to win.

"I've been staying in the gym the whole time since my last fight. Even if I haven't been fighting, I've been sparring and keeping my craft sharp. You never know how long a layoff will be, so I made sure to keep my mind on boxing.

"I can't do anything but go in there and take care of my business. I can't control the judges or anything that happens outside of us fighting. I'm trying to win a fight and that's all I'm concerned about.

"I think the fans are really going to like this one. We may start out feeling each other, but I know from the way we both fight that it's going to turn into a war pretty quickly.

"There's nothing that I'm really looking to expose, but doing things at the right time during the fight will be key. Errol is a solid fighter across the board and we'll see what he brings on fight night.

"I'm looking for a victory. That's what I've trained for. It doesn't matter how I get the win. I'm determined to take home that belt."

Now, the champion:



"I'm training for the Lamont Peterson that I know. He's a hard worker, he's hungry and he has a big heart. People shouldn't look past this fight because I'm not at all. Peterson is a great fighter who's seasoned.

"Everyone knows my style. The outcome usually is a stoppage. I won't be looking for it, but if it presents itself, I'll be ready to take advantage.

"I'm going to stick to my game plan. I can't be worried about anything my opponent does during training camp. I have to focus on what I do best and listen to my coach. My style isn't going to be effected by Lamont's training.

"I'm keeping the same mentality that I've always had heading into fights. Winning the belt helped get my name out there, but my mentality is still to grind and stay hungry and listen to my coach. Nothing is different, I still change diapers and everything else you'd imagine.

"There are so many guys in the welterweight division, I want to clean them all out. If I keep beating the top guys, I'll be the last one standing. I'm going to dominate like I've been doing.

"I'm not going to wait around for unification fights, I want to fight three times this year and I'll take on the best opponent who steps into the ring.

"I'll have to wait until I get into the ring to see how our power compares to each other. I'm the bigger guy but I don't think we'll really know until the first round. I'm going to stick to my game plan and adjust on the fly.

"I expect a 12 round fight and that's what I train for. You have to have a smart coach to make adjustments during the fight and capitalize off your opponent's mistakes.

"I know he's going to be difficult. He's a guy with fast feet who can come forward. He can basically do it all. I'm going to have to solve the puzzle."

The Spence-Peterson battle will take place on Saturday, January 20th from the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY.  The bout will headline a Showtime telecast that will begin at 9 PM ET.  Beltway Boxers Anthony Peterson and Keeshawn Williams will be on the undercard.

No comments: