Monday, February 16, 2015

Thomas Langley, Noted Beltway Coach And Trainer, Passes!


(photo courtesy of Tony Jeter)

We have received very sad news.  Long-time Beltway Boxing trainer and coach Thomas Langley has passed away at the age of 69 after a long illness.

Mr. Langley, a member of the DC Boxing Hall of Fame, ran the Laurel Boys and Girls boxing program for more than 30 years and worked with a countless number boxers in the area including Eddie Van Kirk, Percy Harris, Jake Smith, Mike Lee and most recently, Tony Jeter (shown in the photo with Langley) and female amateur standout Amelia Moore.

"I started boxing in 1992 and he was the one that started me," Jeter told BATB.  "He stayed with me the whole time and he helped me and so many others."

"He truly was a great guy and the one person who always stood by me."

Mr. Langley was an outstanding man whom I loved talking with and seeing at all the cards in the area.  Mr. Langley did not look for the publicity that some crave but his impact on this region will truly, truly be missed!  BATB sends its deepest condolences to the Langley family as well as all the boxers he worked with.

No comments: