Thursday, September 18, 2014

Jeter To Face Lange in Rematch November 15 At The Patriot Center!


Before their first bout, there was a lot of conversation as they are two of the most popular boxers in the Beltway region.  The conclusion of the contest was one of the most controversial in recent Beltway Boxing history.

On Saturday, November 15, they get to do it all over again.

Stevensville, MD middleweight Tony "Mo Better" Jeter will battle Jimmy Lange of Great Falls, VA in a rematch at the George Mason University Patriot Center in Fairfax, VA.  The 10-round contest will be for the vacant NABA US Middleweight title, which may mean a bump in the WBA world rankings.

The first bout between these Beltway fan favorites took place at the Patriot Center on October 27, 2012. Jeter defeated Lange by 10-round split decision despite losing four points on the scorecards because of infractions during the bout.  The bout cemented an exciting 2012 for Jeter culminating in being named Beltway Boxer of the Year by this site.

Jeter, who walked into the ring in October 2012 as the WBC Fecarbox champion, parlayed the win over Lange and received a bigger payday as he faced Patrick Nielsen in Nielsen's home country of Denmark on February 15.  Jeter (17-4-1, 12 KO's) was stopped in the second round.  Jeter, who won his last bout by first-round TKO on April 26 in Annandale, VA, still is ranked in the World Boxing Council rankings at number 19.

Conversely, Lange (38-5-2, 25 KO's) has not fought since the first Jeter contest as he has been nursing injuries.  Lange had two surgeries in 2013 to repair badly torn ligaments in his left elbow.  This will be the 16th card that Lange has headlined at the Patriot Center.

Here's what the two men had to say about the rematch:

Tony Jeter:  “It’s Tony Jeter versus Jimmy Lange again in what we’re calling ‘The Rematch. I’m a little surprised that Jimmy wants to get back in the ring with me after the beating he suffered in our first fight. I’m very respectful of Jimmy and what he’s done in the past, and I even have to say I like Jimmy.  However, on November 15th we are not friends, he will be my enemy, and my intention is to win even more convincingly than I did in 2012.  I am training hard and will be ready to put on a great show for all the fans.  I am looking to pick up in the first round of this fight right where I left off in the 10th round of our first fight. ”

Jimmy Lange: “I'm looking forward to this fight more than any in my career.  I’m offering no excuses for losing last time because excuses are not my style.  I’m training very hard for the rematch and I’m doing it my way.  I’m excited to return to the ring and thankful that Tony has offered me this opportunity for a rematch."

So far, all we know about the undercard  at this early date is that WBA Women's Welterweight champion Tori "Sho Nuff" Nelson is slated to participate.  Nelson, by the way, is still headlining the Ponytail Promotions card on Saturday, September 27 at the ABC Sports Complex in Springfield, VA.




No comments: