Friday, January 20, 2012

Byarm Bout For Pennsylvania State Heavyweight Title!



Maurice Byarm poses with his trainer, the legendary Adrian Davis. Photo by Rich Hundley III

There's added significance to Maurice "Freight Train" Byarm's bout against Bryant "Bye Bye" Jennings on January 21 at the Asylum Arena in Philadelphia, PA.

The bout will be for the Pennsylvania State Heavyweight title, according to Pennsylvania State Commissioner Greg Sirb. Byarm fights out of DC, but was born and raised in Philadelphia. Both guys are undefeated; Byarm is 13-0-1, nine KO's, Jennings is 11-0, five KO's.

Byarm had this to say at the final press conference held yesterday:

“This is going to be a great fight for me and Bryant, win lose or draw, it’s going to catapult us to higher elevation in our career. I think we’re going to bring out the best in each-other. At the end of this fight they’re gonna know who Maurice Byarm and Bryant Jennings, they’re going to know us both. Hats off to both of us for putting our undefeated records on the line for Philadelphia, we’re both fighting for the pride of Philadelphia."

The bout will be televised as the main event on the NBC Sports Network (formerly Versus) on Saturday. The broadcast begins at 9 PM ET.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to see Mo doing it. Is Crybaby Jones the announcer? If so, I will have to just wish Mo good luck from here and cannot go and hear him cry..

Are you ready to cry, then let's pull out tissues to do this!

Jaquan Hadington
Bowie, MD

Gary Digital Williams said...

What is your agenda with this? What problems do you have?

Anonymous said...

No agenda sir. Just tired of all the racial crying he does. Being African American, I have an issue with that. At every turn, he is playing the race card on your great blog and you allow him to do it sir, so this is America and I have right to state my feelings too.

Sir, you are a African American and I have never heard you cry like Crybaby Jones on this blog. He should take a play out of your playbook sir and stop it.

Jaquan Hadington
Bowie, MD

Gary Digital Williams said...

Not trying to stop you from doing it, because you indeed have the right.

However, I know for a fact (because I've seen it first hand), that there is strong validity to Jones's claims.

When you are for example, told as an African-American that you don't "show up well on camera" when the very boxers that are ON CAMERA look just like you -- there is something wrong.

Gary Digital Williams said...

Also, I appreciate you putting a name to your comments. You are indeed entitled to your opinion.

Anonymous said...

Roll on "Freight Train" Roll on! After you capture the PA heavyweight belt. I hope you stick w/ your trainer (AD) for the long run. Cause w/ this current team in place (trainer, mgr) the sky's the limit for you.

Anonymous said...

What does the announcer of the program have to do w/ the boxing match?

Anonymous said...

Freight train is classy young fighter who has character as well as great boxing skill. I see him a great asset to the heavyweight boxing scene. I watched him up close in sparring and he looks good. I fully expect him to return with a great victory this week end. Respect from the Baltimore boxing gym From Aaron and Tacuma....

Anonymous said...

Gary Promoters and managers of events surely have the right to use whoever they want for whatever reason they want.It is their money and their time invested.Why is it difficult to understand what the person told jones about his apperance.I don't beleive it was racially motivated
it just seems that you are trying to turn it into that.I hope that my perception of what you and Jones are seeing is not the same thing I think your guilty of. But I have been wrong before.