Friday, January 22, 2010

Harry Davis, NBC Camerman and Community Leader, Passes!



(Harry Davis, left, with son Marc -- photo from NBC Washington)

This one is again, very personal and this has nothing to do with boxing. In the wake of the passing of Channel 4 sportscaster George Michael, another beloved member of the Channel 4 family has passed.

Longtime camera operator Harry Davis passed away yesterday of a heart attack in North Carolina. Many of you probably never heard of this man, but believe me, many people are better off for knowing him.

In many ways, Harry Davis was very responsible for my personal elevation as a sportscaster. While Davis was working at Channel 4, he used some of the older equipment at the station and built a program that allowed high school students to videotape sports and other programming. The program was called the Broadcast Factory and what was really great about the program was that there wasn't any set criteria to be a part of the program -- no certain grade point average, no essay necessary, nothing like that. All a student needed was the willingness and desire to work.

I was very blessed to have been a color commentator for the Broadcast Factory's coverage of Howard University Football in the early 90's along with the likes of Gus Johnson, George Johnson and Rick "Doc" Walker. It was a great opportunity for me but it was incredible working with those young people who were trained so well by Harry Davis. Many of those people went on to careers in television and film.

After Davis retired from Channel 4 and closed the Broadcast Factory, he moved to North Carolina to be closer to the NASCAR Racing scene. Harry's son, Marc, is a up-and-coming NASCAR driver.

Harry Davis was an incredible man who, with very little fanfare, made his community a whole lot better! He is truly someone who will be missed.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gary I heard about him on channel 4 news, they spoke very highly of him. I'm sure he touched many of people. God bless him and his family

Doug

Anonymous said...

Harry Davis was a gentle and genuine person, that I had the pleasure of knowing and calling a friend. I remember Harry fondly and with respect, he was always with his camera, especially during our days in college. I especially remember the kindness and respect that Harry extended to me and my family in capturing the loss and rememberance of my daughter Briana, who died tragically at the yound age of 17. An action initiated by Harry for his news station. Lastly, I remember the pleasure of being a friend and knowing him. My sincerest sympathy to his family.

Belle Vee Gentry

Anonymous said...

I was fortunate enough to meet Marc Davis at Pocono raceway last year, very nice young man.I read articles about Mr. Davis and they were all very positive and very inspiring.May God bless him and his family.Marc pls keep your chin up.

When someone you love becomes a memory,the memory becomes a treasure.
~Author Unknown
Sandra

Fran said...

On the 16th. of Janaury my dear Harry e-mailed me the following... "All flowers do not bloom on the first day of spring and there is joy in the fall and winter garden. Harry was a man of depth and character. He was a man who appreciated beauty and he captured it in his work but never, never did he imprison it. He treated my heart the same way...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that info, Gary.

Sorry to hear about this. Marc Davis, his son drives for NASCAR.

His web site is http://www.marcdavismotorsports.com.

I wish him comfort during this difficult time.

Rob Brierton said...

Harry was a good man but a great father. I met Harry and Marc at a race in upstate New York, when Marc was just staring out. I have kept in contact with them over the years and saw them both at Adirondack Speedway 2 summers ago. Harry and Marc picked my daughter as 'their' fan of the day and gave her a very nice gift. Harry took a nmber of pictures of the 2 of them and sent them to me. Marc and Nicole had big smiles on their faces but those smiles were no wheres near as big as Harry's, the proud father. It was a true honor to be able to call Harry a friend... GODSPEED Harry !!!!

Anonymous said...

Gary,thanks for a wondeful article about my FOB PR Harry. As a fellow alumni, who attended West Virginia State [College] University, I had the honor to meet him. Even back-in-the-day, I remember him having a passion for photography and what a wonderful photographer he was!
DG/OG Betty B.

Anonymous said...

Harry was a genuine and kind person. While I was the Director for the local Miss America program in DC, he allowed access to contestants for them to get exposure. He was a behind the scenes guy that didn't care for a lot of fanfare and taking credit. He contributed so much to the DC area that so many may not be aware of and also are benefit from.

Betty Hemby - former Miss DC Director

Unknown said...

I was the first group of kids to be part of the broadcast factory. We worked with Miss Cathy Hughes. He also took us to the 88 Olympics