Saturday, March 01, 2008

Joppy Announces Retirement!

Fightnews Canada is reporting that former three-time WBA Middleweight champion William Joppy has announced his retirement. Joppy told Dave Spencer after his 10th round TKO loss to IBF Super Middleweight champion Lucian Bute last night in Montreal that the fire is not there anymore.

“Maybe it was father time, but I saw shots in there, body shots, but I just couldn’t pull the trigger. It just wasn’t there," Joppy said after the bout.

“That was my last professional fight; I’m not motivated about boxing no more. I love the game of boxing, don’t get me wrong, but I’m moving on.”

Joppy won three WBA middleweight titles during his 15-year career and participated in 15 world title bouts. He was only stopped twice in his career, against Bute and against Felix Trinidad. His career ends with a record of 39-5-1, 30 KO's. All five of his losses came in title fights against Bute, Trinidad, Bernard Hopkins, Jermain Taylor and Julio Cesar Green.

Without question, William Joppy will go down as one of the true greats in Beltway Boxing history!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your Retirement, Joppy! You had a good run in your boxing career.

Anonymous said...

Joppy, Enjoy your retirement. You represented in a big way and will be remembered as a one greats that came from the beltway.
Coach Hal