Tuesday, October 31, 2006

No Beltway Boxers on Fight Night...Again!!

For the second straight year, there will be NO Beltway Boxers participating on the annual Fight Night charity boxing card this Thursday, November 2 at the Washington Hilton and Towers.

The closest they came to putting a Beltway Boxer on the show was to have a former conventional boxer participate in a kickboxing bout. That would be heavyweight Imani Lee who fought out of Alexandria, VA and was 8-3 with five KO's as a conventional boxer.

The card also has two guys who visited the Beltway in recent months. The main event features junior middleweight Billy Lyell of Youngstown, OH. You may remember that Lyell gave Tony Cygan his first pro loss back in January at the Pikesville Armory.

Also, undefeated heavyweight Devin Vargas of Toledo, OH will be on the card. The captain of the 2004 US Olympic team last fought in the area in December of 2005 when he knocked out Albert Newberry at Martin's West.

I know that the majority of people who attend Fight Night don't really care who's in the ring, but I am OUTRAGED that a boxing event that takes place in the Nation's Capital can't have at least one Beltway Boxer. I think it is just unfair that they have this big event in front of all these political and financial movers and shakers and the boxing community in this area can't reap the benefits of being seen by these important people. IT'S JUST RIDICULOUS!!

The ONLY reason why I am attending this card is because I gave my word to Fightnews.com to cover it. But if you are looking for results here on this blog afterwards, you will not find any.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ridiculous! Isn't there ONE Beltway Boxer they could've asked, at least?

Anonymous said...

Its a slap in the face to the boxers in the area. Its a disgrace.

Mike D.

Anonymous said...

Digital,

So is Imani Lee fighting on this card? I use to train with him under Top Honey in Alexandria. Last I heard he was doing K-1.

Bull

Gary Digital Williams said...

Yes, Imani is participating in a kickboxing bout on the card.

Anonymous said...

I have heard that Eric Bottjer and Ollie Dunlap are involved in the fight.

Gary Digital Williams said...

That's who I heard but I wasn't sure so I didn't mention it.

If that is true, that is even MORE of a slap in our face because these are two guys who have ties and indeed got their start right here in this area.

Anonymous said...

Mike I agree. But that's how it always has been even JD Brown was running it I can remember when he didn't even give our world champ's at the time passes

Anonymous said...

Don't get your panties all in a bunch. No local fighters... So what! It was a great night at the fights!!! Get over it.

Gary Digital Williams said...

It IS a big deal! To not give the opportunity for these movers and shakers to see LOCAL talent is ridiculous.

Maybe one of these local bigwigs would take the interest and financially help his career.

Anonymous said...

Gary I agree it's crazy that never have local talent on that show or maybe they have so much money they have got to spend to make it look good.But that is a smack in the face.

Anonymous said...

I would like to know if joseph cooper will be the ref that night on dec 9,2006 for jimmy fight, If he is not,I would like to Know why?