Wednesday, September 13, 2006

MaxBoxing.com Article Celebrates Beltway Boxing History!

This Saturday marks the 25th anniversary of one of the most notable title bouts in recent boxing history --"The Showdown"-- the first battle between Sugar Ray Leonard and Thomas Hearns. I will commemorate that glorious day on Saturday.

However, I found a very interesting article by Lee Groves on MaxBoxing.com. In the article, Groves gives his opinion on the 10 best welterweight fights SINCE Leonard-Hearns I in 1981. I bring this to your attention because two of the bouts featured Beltway Boxers.

Number six on the list is the tremendous unification matchup between IBF champion Simon Brown and his friend WBC titleholder Maurice Blocker. The bout took place on March 18, 1991 in Las Vegas. I will never understand why the bout didn't take place here, but it was an incredible war won by Brown in the 10th round. Fortunately, the friendship stayed intact after the bout.

The number one bout on the list also featured Brown. This was when he won the vacant IBF title with a 14th round TKO over Tyrone Trice. This bout was on April 23, 1988 in Berck-Sur-Mur, France. This was an INCREDIBLE bout! Brown was dropped in the second round but by the end of the fight dominated Trice and showed why Brown was one of the premier welterweights of his time.

There was a rematch and it took place at the DC Armory on April 1, 1990. I was at that bout and it almost was as good at the first, except Brown dominated from the opening bell and stopped Trice in the 10th round.

Once again, Brown proved why I pick him as the best Beltway Boxer of the post-Sugar Ray Leonard era (slightly over Mark Johnson because Brown won his titles in marquee divisions) and why Brown should be in the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

To read the rest of Lee Groves's list, please copy this link:
http://www.maxboxing.com/Groves/Groves091306.asp

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes...A trip down "memory lane" with the Brown fights. I would consider Brown a "borderline" choice for the hall, but no doubt he had a very good career. I think Johnson was a tad better myself, but Brown had more "moments".

Gary Digital Williams said...

And the "moments" make up the very slim defining factor. The fact that Brown had great moments against Trice and Blocker and definitely against Terry Norris while Johnson (through no fault of his own) had no bouts against marquee fighters. They were all scared of him.

Johnson will probably make it to the Hall ahead of Simon and both, in my opinion, deserve to be there.

Anonymous said...

Gary you know I have got to go with the Cruiserweight.He no his boxing.Cruiserweight I respect your honesty.Let me say this Gary like I said who you know gave up 30.000 dollars to fight hear not Simon Brown.Don'tget it wrong I have a lot of RESPECT for everybody who opened the door for me.I think it was a lot of fighter's in the area better than me who just didn't get the opportunity. I feel with me doing something that nobody as ever done. Being the first african american to winning 112lbs an 115lbs IBF title and after going away for a year and winning the 115lb WBO title come on gary.

Anonymous said...

MARK TOOSHARP SAID

Anonymous said...

come on gary

Gary Digital Williams said...

As I have said, it is a very slim line. It could very easily be 1 and 1A between you and Simon. There are compelling cases both ways.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Gary for your honesty.I just heard about your site it's the bomb.Gary good luck on anything you do. And yes people.I am working on date with Gary so I can set the record straight on a lot of false statements about me, and people i'm not going to hold no punches.A lot people is going to be mad at me. I'm going to call alot of people out beleave me. You know who you are.So be ready. Gary the poeople want to know when

Gary Digital Williams said...

Mark,

As always, thanks for everything you have done for me! Whenever you're ready for that interview, you know where to find me!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Gary.I'll talk to you later

Anonymous said...

*Chuckle* Well I'll be damned! Hey, I thought we were just discussing two possible Hall of Famers, I didn't know one was right here on the site!

It is indeed a very close call Gary, and a reasonable case could be made for both. Due to circumstances more or less beyond his control, Mark didn't have the "moments" that Simon did. However, he is indeed the first African-American to win the flyweight title, and on skill, talent, and ability...Nothing against Simon, but it's clearly Mark. I think you would agree with that Gary, and I'm not just saying that because Mark is here. I've said it on other threads.

I believe that the two most underrated and underappreciated fighters of the 90's/early 2000's were Ricardo Lopez and Mark Johnson. You want two more to add to that list, that fought before that? Mike McCallum and Eder Jofre.

Anyways, it's been fun guys. Thanks for the props Mark. And I know those 112 & 115 days are over, but let's keep the weight down. Trust me, I know it ain't easy for us 30+ guys! (LOL)

As far as

Anonymous said...

Finaly we are talking about some real fighters gary you are sepping your game up I had the chance to here his comments about comming on your show

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Where is Jermaine Fields today?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gary Digital Williams said...

That's a good question. I don't know where either Jermaine or his brother Anthony are. Anyone knows, let us know.

Anonymous said...

The brothers own a lawn service in Temple Hills Maryland. They can be seen working locally quite often during the summer

Gary Digital Williams said...

Thanks, Shermen!

Please send our best wishes to the Fields Brothers!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Shermen. Glad to see they are working and making a way.

Anonymous said...

Shermen fields brother's was great amateur's. Pro's just alright. They we're not HALL OF FAME.Like the fighters where talking about here