Monday, September 18, 2006

'Jabba' Bryan Loses in Wisconsin!

Former super middleweight title contender Lloyd "Jabba" Bryan of Capitol Heights, MD lost an eight-round unanimous decision to Zach "Jungle Boy" Walters on September 15 in Superior, WI.

The Jamaican-born Bryan, who once fought for the IBF Super Middleweight title, was knocked down twice during the bout. Bryan lost on scores of 79-68, 80-69 and 80-70.

Bryan told my Fightnews.com colleague Jesse Kelley on his Minnesotaboxing.com site that he suffered the worst beating of his pro career.

"I have fought world champions and I have never been beaten up in a fight like I was tonight," Bryan told Kelley. "I fought my heart out but he was the better man tonight."

Bryan's record is now 22-14 with 10 KO's. Walters is now 15-1, 11 KO's.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow!!! didn't know jabba was still fighting. i can remember sparring with him at ray leonard's gym ten years ago. it seems after he split with mr. hinton his career spiraled downward.

gary, have you ever done any stories on the trainers of the area and the impact that they have had on many fighters, not only in boxing, but life.. i know for me, mr. hinton helped save my life. i wouldn't be where i am today without him..

Gary Digital Williams said...

Slickwalt,

I have thought about doing a series of interviews with trainers in the area. The problem with doing such a series are twofold.

1. A lot of trainers don't want the limelight.

2. There are so many good trainers in the area, I run the risk of leaving someone out.

But it is definitely something to think about.

Thanks for the feedback!