Saturday, September 02, 2006

Billy Banks Passes!

D.C. Boxer Billy Banks, a featherweight who was a popular fixture in the DC Boxing scene in the 1940's, passed away on August 31 at Washington Hospital Center. He was 85 years old.

Banks was famous for a particular bout at Griffith Stadium in DC on June 12, 1940. Banks faced "Baltimore" Joe Sole on this night and it made history in the city. The bout was the first time that DC boxing fans would see a black man (Banks) trade punches with a white man (Sole). Banks won the bout with a sixth-round TKO. Banks fought from 1938-1949 and had a record of 51-32-3 with 15 KO's.

There is a nice obituary written by Joe Holley of the Washington Post that appears in today's edition. Here is the link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/01/AR2006090101644.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am deeply saddened to hear this news about Billy's passing. In fact, I just talked about him on a TV show I did on August 31st and had no idea he passed that very same day. I will be re-releasing an interview I did with him back in October 2003 on Ringside Report.com probably later today and it will have two pictures from his fighting days he gave me for our interview.

Billy and his wife Ida, were very nice folks and brought me into their lovely home to do this interview which is one of my favorites..

Gary,

If you hear when and where the funeral is or a viewing, by all means, let me know.. I would like to pay my respect to his family.

"Bad" Brad Berkwitt

Gary Digital Williams said...

I will, Brad, and I will make sure to let people know about your interview with Banks.