Saturday, January 14, 2006

Official Response to Peterson Training Situation!

One of the many great things about this blog is the ability to hear from the boxing fans along the Beltway. Recently, I put up some information concerning the Peterson Brothers. All I did was put up info about their upcoming bouts (which I have to update, by the way).

From that info, came a nice discussion generated by fans concerning the long-time trainer of the Petersons, Barry Hunter. Apparently, there has been some talk that Hunter may be replaced as trainer by their advisor Shelly Finkel in favor of a more well-known trainer.

I put that question to Nate Yoder, who handles the media relations for Prize Fight Boxing, the company that has been promoting the Petersons in the Gulf Coast area of the country. The following is Yoder's response:

"There is no truth to Shelly Finkel attempting to replace Barry Hunter as trainer of Lamont & Anthony Peterson. Barry and Shelly’s relationship is and always has been strong. Obviously, this had to of been someone who is jealous of what they have achieved. In our opinion, Barry Hunter is one of the best up and coming trainers in the sport today. Please tune in on February 17th as Lamont will be fighting on ESPN2 with Anthony on the card as well."

That should settle that debate.

Now here is the update on the Petersons in the ring. Lamont Peterson's battle against Courtney Burton on February 17 will be for the WBC Americas Jr. Welterweight title. A win for Peterson will more than likely mean a top 10 or top 15 ranking for him. Anthony Peterson will also box on that card and another DC boxer, undefeated lightweight Ty Barnett (6-0, four KO's), is scheduled to be on that card as well.

There's more. There is a SHOBox date in the works for the Peterson Brothers. That date will be April 28. Let's hope all goes according to plan.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the clarity! Best of luck to both of the Peterson brothers on their upcoming fights.

Gary Digital Williams said...

Thanks for the comments. The promotional company appreciated it also.

Anonymous said...

Hey Gary Long time Know here. It's Here That I Richard "ThethinMan" McCombs would Like to Publicly state That Barry Hunter is one of the Best trainer's Today. and that anthony Peterson who is a friend of Mine is One of the best fighter's Dc has seen in a long time. also I would Like to Note that this year I would be making a Return to the boxing Ring. further more I would like to wish the Peterson the best of Luck!

Gary Digital Williams said...

Hey Richard!

Good to hear from you again. I look forward to seeing you in the ring again soon! Let me know when the bout will be!

Anonymous said...

Hello Gary it's Dc's own Richard "TheThinMan" McCombs Here! I would like to Thankyou for making it possible for the boxer's aswell as the fans to have a voice. I look forward to my long awaited interview with the best sport's writer of our time.

Gary Digital Williams said...

Hey Richard!

Let me know when you are coming back and we'll talk.

Anonymous said...

Hey Gary I'm looking to possibly Return in may email me at thethinman81@blackplanet.com and let's talk one on one better yet feel free to call me at 202 351 7974 I look forward to talking with you buddy.