Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Davis To Defend WBA Super Featherweight Title Against Former Three-Division Champ Mares February 9th In Carson, CA!




Undefeated WBA Super Featherweight champion Gervonta "Tank" Davis of Baltimore, MD will make the first defense of his title when he battles former three-division world champion Abner Mares of Montebello, CA on Saturday, February 9th at the StubHub Center (soon to be the Dignity Health Sports Park) in Carson, CA.  The bout will be the main event on a Showtime telecast.

Davis (20-0, 19 KO's) won the WBA Super Featherweight title in his last outing on April 21st in Brooklyn, NY knocking out Jesus Cuellar in the third round.  The title is Davis's second of his career.

Mares (31-3-1, 15 KO's) has won world titles at bantamweight, super bantamweight and featherweight.  Mares comes off dropping the WBA Super World Featherweight title by 12-round unanimous decision to Leo Santa Cruz on June 9th in Los Angeles, CA.  Mares, a native of Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico, looks to become the fourth boxer born in Mexico to win titles in four weight divisions joining Juan Manuel Marquez, Erik Morales and Jorge Arce.

"I'm very excited to be showcased in my first main event in the United States on February 9," said Davis. "I want to make a statement in this fight by putting on a tremendous performance against an experienced world champion like Abner Mares. I plan on showing everyone why I belong in pound-for-pound discussions and why I'm the most exciting champion in boxing today. You don't want to miss it!"

"I wanted this fight and I want this challenge against Gervonta Davis," said Mares. "I'm preparing well and I will add my fifth world title in my fourth weight class on February 9 on SHOWTIME."