Thursday, December 15, 2016

Gilbert Ware, Former DC Commission Deputy Commissioner Passes!

Gilbert Ware, the long-time deputy commissioner of the District of Columbia Boxing and Wrestling Commission, passed away on December 10th after a long illness.

Mr. Ware's association with boxing was a 40-year journey that included work as a trainer, promoter, matchmaker and, eventually, a member of the DC Commission, beginning in 1986.  Mr. Ware served on the commission for 20 years, representing the city at numerous boxing conventions around the world.

Mr. Ware's Homegoing service will be on Monday, December 19th at Fort Lincoln Funeral Home located at 3401 Bladensburg Road in Brentwood, MD.  The wake will be from 9:30 to 10:30 AM with the funeral to follow.

On a personal note, Gilbert Ware is one of the reasons I am in this business to begin with.  When I started covering boxing in the late eighties, I wanted to bring more exposure to the local scene.  I pitched a concept of a television series called "Friday Night At The Fieldhouse" and Mr. Ware was my contact.  I walked into his office sight unseen.  He didn't know me from anyone.  That meeting started a long friendship that I have always cherished.  Mr. Ware would have dinners together at Red Lobster and talk about what was coming up in the area.  Mr. Ware was a remarkable man and I can't thank him enough for what he has meant to me.

My condolences to Mr. Ware's wife, Helen and their four children.

3 comments:

Keystone Boxing said...

Great person and great ambassador for boxing. He mentored my dad and taught him so much about the sport. RIP Mr. Ware.

FD said...

Your work here is done Mr. Ware (and you did it Very Well). May you now Rest In Peace!
Fight Doctor (J. Spears)

DreamNT said...

Great Blog,Thanks for sharing this blog.










บาคาร่าออนไลน์