Sunday, April 10, 2016

Local Prospects Are Successful In Springfield!

A number of Beltway Boxing prospects won bouts Saturday night on the Jeter Promotions card at the ABC Sports Complex in Springfield, VA.

Baltimore, MD cruiserweight "Slick" Nick Kisner won a six-round unanimous decision over Dan "The Disciple" Shull of Winchester, VA.  Kisner showed good hand speed and accuracy throughout the contest as he peppered Shull with left jabs and right hooks throughout the contest.  Shull showed a solid chin but very little offense throughout the night.  All three judges scored the bout a shutout for Kisner, 60-54. Kisner is now 16-2-1, six KO's.  Shull falls to 3-31-1, one KO.

Undefeated Palmer Park, MD lightweight Drayvontay Speed-Rawls scored a sixth-round TKO over Benjamin "Wildcat" Olinga of DC.  Speed-Rawls entered the sixth round for the first time in his pro career and handled it well as he finished the bout with a flourish, swarming Olinga with a flurry of punches that forced referee Michelle Myers to stop the contest at 2:28 of the sixth.  Speed-Rawls is now 6-0-1, four KO's while Olinga drops to 1-12.

Super welterweight Gerome "GQ" Quigley of Gaithersburg, MD put on one of his best performances in a first-round TKO victory over Dennis Sharpe of Bayonne, NJ.  The end came suddenly as Quigley, who was accurate all throughout the round, landed a brutal left hand that stopped Sharpe in his tracks.  Sharpe never went down but slumped against the ropes.  Referee Billy Johnson stopped the contest at 2:35. Quigley remains undefeated at 14-0, 13 KO's.  Sharpe drops to 17-20-4, four KO's.

Fort Washington, MD super bantamweight Marq "Monster Johns scored a third-round TKO over Alan Beeman of Newport, RI.  Johns landed a crushing left hand that opened up a cut along Beeman's nose late in the second round.  As the bell rang to start the third round, neither Beeman's corner nor the ringside doctor could stop the bleeding and the bout was stopped at two seconds of the third.  Johns bounces back from his first pro loss in July of 2015 and raises his record to 7-1-1, six KO's.  Beeman remains winless at 0-12.

"The Baby-Faced Assassin" Yurii Polischuk of Landover, MD scored a fourth-round TKO over Dustin Caplinger of Akron, OH.  After a relatively even two rounds, Polischuk took control in the third round landing solid left hands that put Caplinger on his heels.  Caplinger lost a point for holding in the third.  Polischuk kept up the pressure in the fourth with more brutal lefts that made Caplinger turn his head and made referee Myers stop the contest at 1:54.  Polischuk's record rises to 9-1-1, three KO's.  Caplinger drops to 2-7, one KO.

In a very exciting bout, undefeated Oxon Hill, MD super lightweight Cobia "The Soldier" Breedy won a four-round unanimous decision over Stephon McIntyre of Atlanta, GA. The bout was fought primarily at close quarters and the bout was even early on with both men landing shots.  Gradually, Breedy took control of the bout and landed the more efficient shots but McIntyre stayed with Breedy and proved to be very tough but his offense became more limited as the bout wore on.  Breedy won by shutout (40-36) on all three cards but the bout looked a little closer.  Breedy, a native of Bridgetown, Barbados, remains undefeated at 6-0, four KO's while McIntyre falls to 2-19-2.

In an all-Maryland battle, Rockville middleweight Francisco Bustos won a four-round split decision over Darryl Watkins of Temple Hills.  There was a controversy in the first round as Watkins appeared to knock Bustos down with a right hand.  However, Watkins continued to hit Bustos after Bustos fell to the canvas.  Referee Johnson took a point away from Watkins for the infraction but did not give Watkins credit for knocking down Bustos.  Bustos ended up winning the contest on two of the scorecards 38-37 and 39-36 while Watkins received a score of 38-37 on one scorecard.  Bustos stays undefeated at 4-0, two KO's while Watkins remains winless at 0-4.

Baltimore heavyweight Colby Madison needed only 30 seconds to win his pro debut as he stopped Dominique Barnes of Wilson, NC.  Madison threw a right-hand punch at Barnes that, although it didn't seem to land, sent Barnes to the canvas. Barnes could not -- or did not want to -- get back up and the bout was stopped.  Barnes is now 0-2.

In other bouts on the card, York, PA welterweight Stevie Weimer made a successful debut under the Jeter Promotions managerial banner winning a four-round unanimous decision over Joseph "Trouble" Figueroa of the Bronx, NY.  Weimer showed good boxing skills in his first bout after an almost three-year hiatus from the sport in which he received his college degree from York College.  Weimer threw crisp combinations that didn't hurt Figueroa but did enough to win the bout by shutout on all three scorecards (40-36).  Weimer is now 10-0, two KO's whole Figueroa falls to 11-58-5, three KO's.

"The Young General" Ian Green of Paterson, NJ broke down Gundrick "Sho-Gun" King of Tuscaloosa, AL over five rounds to score a TKO in a middleweight contest.  Green started off patiently, using a solid left jab to set up crisp body and head shots with his right hand.  By the fifth round, Green swarmed King with powerful shots that forced referee Myers to stop the bout at 2:49.  Green bounced back from suffering his first pro loss in January and his record is now 9-1, seven KO's.  King drops to 18-17, 11 KO's.

Flyweight Matthew "Diamond Boy" Griego of Albuquerque, NM knocked out Concord, NC's Jordan Simmons in the first round. The 19-year-old Griego knocked down Simmons twice in the first round before the bout was halted at 1:32.  Griego is 4-0, four KO's.  Simmons is 0-2.

In the opening contest of the card, Zsolt Daranyi, Jr. of Toronto, Canada remained perfect with a first-round stoppage of Marqus "Goose" Jackson of Atlanta, GA.  After a short feeling out process, Daranyi hit Jackson with a crushing right hand to the body that stopped the contest at 1:09.  Daranyi is now 8-0, eight KO's while 8-0, eight KO's while Simmons is 0-2.

Hear the entire card right here:


ACW said...

Should Watkins appeal? If it was a knockdown, that'd change it from a split decision to a split draw.

Gary Digital Williams said...

I don't think the decision would change. It was a judgment call. I thought it was a bad call but Watkins made it worse by getting a point taken away during the knockdown, which was a good call.