Sunday, December 21, 2014

Russell Wins Easy Unanimous Decision; Peterson Falls Ill Prior to Bout; Wade Stops Hunter in Two; Jargal Stopped in Ninth in New York!

A very eventful night for Beltway Boxers on both coasts on Saturday.

In the co-feature contest at the Little Creek Casino Resort in Shelton, WA, "Mr." Gary Russell, Jr. of Capitol Heights, MD won an easy 10-round unanimous decision over an outgunned Christopher Martin of Chula Vista, CA.

Russell used his speed of hand and feet to keep Martin at bay.  Martin had no answer for anything Russell did in the bout.  Russell won by scores of 100-90 (twice) and 99-91.  Russell wins his first bout since losing his world title bid against Vasyl Lomachenko and raises his record to 25-1, 14 KO's.  Martin falls to 28-5-3, nine KO's.

Meanwhile, DC lightweight Anthony Peterson fell ill during the evening and could not participate in his bout against Hector Velazquez.  According to the Headbangers camp, doctors diagnosed Peterson with symptoms resembling either kidney stones or a sports hernia.  Peterson is resting comfortably and is on his way back to DC.

Largo, MD super middleweight Dominic "Lights Out" Wade scored a second-round KO over Eddie Hunter of Kent, WA.  Wade is now 17-0, 12 KO's while Hunter falls to 10-12-2, three KO's.

At the Paramount Theater in Huntington, NY,  "The Mongolian Mongoose" Bayan Jargal of Arlington, VA lost via ninth-round TKO to "The Hebrew Hammer" Cletus Seldin of Brooklyn, NY in a rematch of a July bout that was stopped early and declared a no-contest in the third round because of cuts.

Seldin dominated early in the contest, dropping Jargal in the first round with a right hand.  Seldin wore down Jargal throughout the rest of the contest, ultimately knocking Jargal down again in the ninth before referee Arthur Mercante, Jr. stopped the bout at 2:46 of the round.  

With the victory, Seldin captures the vacant WBC International Junior Welterweight title and is now 15-0, 12 KO's.  Jargal drops to 17-6-3, 11 KO's.

In the co-feature bout, Maxell "The General" Taylor lasted just 37 seconds as he was stopped by Joe Smith, Jr.  Smith jumped on Taylor early and unleashed a flurry of punches.  Taylor could not respond and the bout was halted.  Taylor is now 18-10-1, eight KO's while Smith is 17-1, 14 KO's.

No comments: