Thursday, December 29, 2011

USA Today Joins Russell Bandwagon for Prospect of Year!

USA Today's boxing writer Bob Yelin has joined Sports Illustrated, ESPN.com and readers of Ring Magazine in naming undefeated Capitol Heights, MD featherweight "Mr." Gary Russell, Jr. The Prospect of the Year for 2011.

"He's highly entertaining and one of the most technically-proficient, lightning-quick youngsters out there," Yelin said in his article.

Yelin also chose Unified Super Lightweight champ Lamont Peterson as the runner-up for Fighter of the Year behind Andre Ward. Also, Peterson's win over Amir Khan was one of the runner-ups for Fight of the Year. Referee Joe Cooper was runner-up for worst job by a referee to Russell Mora's putrid handling of the first bout between Abner Mares and Joseph Agbeko.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe Cooper is my hero.
And even if nobody else will admit it, alot of people in this area are happy with him also.

The best damn spinning backfist in the sport.
Joe your the man.
Your friend,
you know who

Anonymous said...

Hey, Gary I'm anxious to hear your awards for the beltway boxers this year!

Gary Digital Williams said...

Hope to work on them this weekend. I'm working from the hospital while my daughter is getting better. I'm on a touchpad that is okay but not what I'm used to.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that. I will keep you and your daughter in my prayers.