Saturday, June 25, 2011

Nick Charles Passes at 64 After Long Cancer Battle!



There are certain stories and news items that you know you will eventually have to write, but you just don't want to or just don't know how. The last time I felt this way was when Mack Lewis passed. I don't think I did Mr. Mack justice with that story and I don't think I will do justice here.

Getting the news today that former CNN and local sportscaster Nick Charles has died at the age of 64 after an almost two-year fight against stage 4 bladder cancer makes me feel that way again.

I've always been inspired in different ways by Charles -- first knowing that he went from being a taxi driver in Chicago into sportscasting. That in itself has given me a lot of hope.

After working in the Chicago area, Charles came to the Beltway region, first working at WJZ-TV in Baltimore then coming to WRC-TV in Washington (where he directly preceded George Michael) followed by a stint at WTOP Radio. Then on June 1, 1980, Charles began his long career at CNN as its first sports anchor. Charles's 17-year pairing with Fred Hickman on CNN's "Sports Tonight" is still one of the longest anchor duets in TV history.

The fact that boxing was Charles's passion was another source of inspiration for me. While I never met Charles personally (don't understand that one), I did manage to share a few phone conversations with him through Scott Wagner's old Ballroom Boxing radio show. One morning Charles did say that he appreciated the work I did for boxing in this area. That was a major boost.

We all know that Charles covered some of the major boxing events in the past 25 years, but he never felt too big to work with Bobby Magruder to call the Golden Gloves events as he once did.

Of course, the final source of inspiration -- for all of us -- was Charles making public his fight with cancer. The way he embraced life and did all he could while he was still here was incredible. When he made his final professional appearance in March of this year on HBO's Boxing After Dark, it was an incredible moment that said don't let something like this stop you from living your life.

Charles leaves to cherish his memory, his wife Cory and his daughter Giovanna, plus three adult children from two previous marriages. Nick Charles also leaves thousands of fans all around the world some wonderful moments.

4 comments:

scotty said...

Fitting tribute, Gary. Nick was a class act and the nicest person I ever met. He LOVED boxing and had a genuine affection and respect for the fighters, something many current writers and broadcasters lack. He will be missed.

Alec Kohut said...

Thanks Gary,
Nick was quite a guy and will be missed.

Anonymous said...

I did have the pleasure of meeting Nick Charles once, and he was as gracious and as personable as he could be. When we met, I told Nick that I remembered him from his sports broadcasting stint in Baltimore, and he seemed very pleased that I would remember as he said his time in Baltimore was quite short. I told him that his battle against his illness was an inspiration, and he thanked me for saying so. I have met many professional people in boxing, some who are genuinely too busy to talk as they are working and some who could care less about talking with anyone no matter what the circumstance. Nick Charles was the type of guy who would stop what he was doing to chat about boxing, and his smile, comments and handshake all clearly reflected that. He will be missed.

Anonymous said...

Nick Charles R.I.P.

Well stated Gary, great job!

Fight Doctor (J. Spears)