Saturday, August 23, 2008

Results From Mayor's Cup -- Day 1!

Here are the results from the first day of action at the 23rd Annual Mayor's Cup Invitational Amateur Boxing Tournament that is being held at the Kennedy Recreation Center in DC:

55 Pounds: Dwayne Holmes (Old School Boxing) decisioned Christopher Nomile (Laurel)

60 Pounds: Jordan White (Keystone) dec. Gregory Burton (Langdon)

70 Pounds: Lorenzo Simpson dec. Deanardo Johnson

72 Pounds: Vernon Spriggs (Benning Park) dec. Tyrus Hall (Midtown)

145 Pounds: Xavier Ward (Supreme Defense) dec. James Holbrook III (Hillcrest)

149 Pounds: Deamonte Green (Nomis) dec. Sean Davis (Keystone)

141 Pounds: Ricky Cuevas (USMC-North Carolina) dec. Alvaro Mendoza (Midtown)

121 Pounds: Patrick Moody (USMC-North Carolina) RSC-2 over Daniel Mattox

165 Pounds: Robert Taylor (Tony's Gym) dec. Jorge Valencia (USMC-North Carolina)

Heavyweight: Ronald Gamble (Club One) RSC-3 over Clinton Price (Midtown)

72 Pounds: Caleb Harrison (Laurel) dec. Demetrius Young (Sugar Ray Leonard Center)



The championship day at the Mayor's Cup begins later today at 5 PM. Admission is free.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nat Williams is going nuts because some very high officals are now realizing that he is a crook and has stole well over 53,000 dollars over the years from these young boxers.

Anonymous said...

Sugar Wayne Holmes made Christopher Nomile look like it was his first fight. Sugar Wayne Holmes id just too much for Christopher Nomile right now.
I hope that Christopher Nomile does not retire after such an emmbarrassement. He will get better in due time.

Anonymous said...

I participated in this tourney for the 1st time this year, but have attended in past years. In past years, it was well attended and I ASSUMED that meant it was well organized. My assumption was wrong. It was a great photo op for the JT, the Commish, but this is the most disorganized "tournament" I've attended in my six years of boxing. I've been to almost all of the major invitationals and tournaments. I am saddened to hear that this was THE premiere event in DC in years past. The key word is "PAST". Now, I know why our elite DC boxers don't attend this mess. If you notice, you won't see many of the same names you've read about in the national tournaments from the DC area. (Jr. Olympics, Silvers, US Future Stars, Golden Gloves) - none of those boxers are at this "TOURNAMENT"

I'm only writing on this blog because no one involved wanted to hear anything from me. There wasn't even a bout list for a TOURNAMENT until 40 minutes before the 5pm start time. There were no brackets posted for the TOURNAMENT and there weren't even divisions listed on the application. That's why the age divisions aren't listed even on this site's post. So, only the "matchmaker" knows who's in this thing or who's boxing today. Why is there a "matchmaker" anyhow in this TOURNAMENT? Why did boxers have to list their record on the application for this TOURNAMENT? These aren't match bouts or are they? This may as well be a two-day show, not a tournament.

I respect the tournament director, but there has got to be someone else involved or this will only get worse. Those people at the top of the organizations involved need to really talk to coaches/boxers/fans instead of relying on their people to tell them if events are really successful. They take pictures, shake hands and leave. The DC Mayor's Cup has become a real joke. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS ASK ANY OF THE PARTICIPATING COACHES TO FIND OUT IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE IT. I only saw a couple of boxers/teams from outside the area and they've told me they won't be back. I don't blame them. Terrible and simply pathetic.

I don't know about Nat Williams, but I don't see where any of the money has gone. I can't speak on the man himself, but EVERYONE involved is to blame in my opinion. I think a lot of people are getting paid to contribute to an event - and their contributions add up to one big disaster.

Anonymous said...

53k? i thought you said $8,600.

Anonymous said...

Totally incompetent organization. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the money is getting picked through. What a joke.