Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Russell B. Williams: 1929-2006!

The name on this heading was not a boxer, but he was a TRUE champion -- not only in my eyes but in the eyes of the many, MANY people he touched.

Russell B. Williams is my father. On Monday, November 27, my father passed away. He was 76 years old.

My father was a DC Public School teacher for 32 years (at Bell Vocational High and Lincoln Junior High). I can't tell you the number of people who have said and can truly say they were touched by this man.

As Discombobulating Jones said in his post (Thank you so much, DJ) my dad and I were very close and he is a big part of the reason (along with my Mom) why I am the way I am today. He took me to my first boxing match -- May 16, 1977-- Muhammad Ali vs. Alfredo Evangelista at the Capital Centre. He also did everything a father could possibly do for his son.

We will celebrate his life on Wednesday, December 6 at 10 am at First Baptist Church of Glenarden
3600 Brightseat Road
Landover, MD.


By the way, December 6 would have been Dad's 77th birthday. It seems appropriate that he came into this world on that date and now he is going home on the same day.

Please bear with me if the updates here aren't as frequent as usual during this time. Thank you.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your loss Gary. Prayers and condolences go out to you and your family.

Peace

Anonymous said...

Gary I am deeply sorry to hear about your loss. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Your father raised a great man out of you, and he is with the Lord now. Im sure he is re-joicing with the Heavenly Angels right now. God Bless you and your family.

Bull

Anonymous said...

My condolences to you and your family Gary.

Anonymous said...

Oh Gary,

So sorry to hear that news. He must have been a great soul, beause as the Golden Greek said "he raised a great man out of you"...My heart and all the hearts Along the Beltway are with you and your family...

Linda

Anonymous said...

Gary,
If you can get a ten-count out of Discombobulating Jones, you know you must be doing something right. My heart goes out to you tonight as I read your message about your father. This boxing fraternity around here, even when it drifts sometimes, is held together like a knot. You, sir, are one of the ties that bind. Knowing you, I can imagine you didn't leave unfinished business with your father, so, you too, rest with a good conscience that you shared so much with him. If the Discombobulating one says you were THISCLOSE, well, he knows! Peace and love, Gary. -- John Scheinman

Anonymous said...

Gary,

I was deeply sadden to learn of your father's passing. The pride and joy the two of you shared for one another was always evident whenever I saw the two of you together. I know the many joyous memories and great times you shared with your dad will remain with you always and be a source of strength as you and your family go forward. My he rest in peace.

Fight Doctor (J. Spears)

Anonymous said...

Gary,

I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your father, especially around the holidays. I wish I would have gotten the chance to meet him. I'm sure he was a fine man just like his son. Hang in there. God bless.

Anonymous said...

Gary,

Thanks for letting me know about your Dad's passing so I can add him and your family to my prayers. I pass on my sympathy to your entire family.

He was one year younger than my Father and I can tell that he affected your life as my Dad affected mine, when he was alive.

In just one week, two folks I know that I call Friend lost loved ones. For folks who know my dear friend Norman "Doc" Hayes (owner of Club Elite and Martini's) both located in Maryland, he lost his beloved daughter Erikka Aidan Hayes at the age of 23.

If any of you know Doc, you can sign the memorial book at this link for the family:

http://www.legacy.com/washingtonpost/GB/GuestbookView.aspx?PersonId=20019493

May God look over as we know he does on both the Williams and Hayes Families during their grief..

Your Brother in Christ,

"Bad" Brad Berkwitt

Anonymous said...

Wow...I'm very sorry to hear this, Gary. This is a rough one here bud...My thoughts are with you, and I hope you can seek a bit of comfort through friends, family, and of course your 'extended family' ('The brotherhood of boxing') to help get you through this difficult time.

B. "Bizzy" Bizzack

Anonymous said...

We offer my deepiest Condolences, in your loss. Are prayers are with you and your family,

Eddy Poinelli/and Family

Anonymous said...

Gary, the thoughts and prayers of all your friends at meacfans.com is with you. We pray that you find comfort in the sweet memories you have of your father.

Anonymous said...

Gary I can only imagine how difficult this must be.
All our thoughts and prayers to you and your family.