Monday, October 16, 2006

'T-Rex' Sanders Fights in Trinidad...LAST FRIDAY!

This is one of the strangest situations I have come across in quite some time. For the last two days, I have been trying to get a hold of DC heavyweight Corey "T-Rex" Sanders to talk about his participation as Mike Tyson's "opponent" on his "World Tour" exhibition on October 20 in Youngstown, Ohio. Sanders has been a sparring partner for Tyson off and on for more than a year, since he stopped boxing in 2004. Sanders had eye problems that presumably forced him to stop actively boxing.

Now comes word from Fightnews.com that Sanders fought a 10-round pro bout on October 14 (last Saturday) in Port of Spain, Trinidad. Sanders lost a unanimous decision to undefeated Kerston Manswell of Trinidad, despite scoring a knockdown in the seventh round.

Obviously, Sanders got permission and clearance from somewhere to resume his career. Hopefully, I will get in touch with him sometime this week.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy...This one does sound bizzare...

Anonymous said...

Man He may be time enough for Iron Mike for a 4-round fight. I have heard of that guy from Trinidad, and he is a beast. With that said Sanders dropped him, impressive. Im a Tyson Fan though, so I hope that dont happen.

Bull

Anonymous said...

Call Chris and get him back at the Ballroom. I loved T-Rex.

Jake how about you and one of your cards?

Anonymous said...

I think that's terrible Cory is still fighting, Boxers always think they still have it. Gary isn't he blind in one eye. Is it a rule or something saying he can't fight like that. At least he's making a honest living. I like cory over Jed and al the heavy weights around here except for Tony Thompson. Gary can he get licensed around here.

Gary Digital Williams said...

To tell you the truth, I'm a little concerned myself. I didn't get into this with Corey during my interview, but I talked to the reporter in Trinidad who covered the bout and he said apparently no one checked his eye down in Trinidad. He wore shades throughout the weigh-in.

Anonymous said...

T-Rex should not be licensed and allowed to fight anywhere. He is blind in one eye and should never be allowed to fight. I have known him since the first day that he walked into number 11 Boys Club gym in SE, DC and he is a sweet kid. I do not think that he should even be allowed to do an exhibition with his eyes like they are. It would seem with even the head gear that he could get thumbed and end up losing his his sight.

Anonymous said...

Gary...You know I have the utmost respect for you and enjoy you immensely, but if you didn't address the eye situation Gary - shame on you.

(Perhaps he just emphatically stated he wouldn't discuss it. If so, my apologies. But you should have probably put a simple disclaimer on there stating as such...)

Anonymous said...

Gary I agree with cruiser. If you done a great interview you would have asked about his eye. Gary I heard MGT at the time Sharife knew about his eye for year and a half and he had someone to take his physical. Sherife also tricked Cory not to go to college for football. He also had a show over Eastern high he took all of Corey money and told him because I got you a APT that's where your money go at

Gary Digital Williams said...

Are you saying Sharif used Corey's money to put on the show at Eastern?

I was at that show and Corey wasn't even ON that card!

Gary Digital Williams said...

I stand VERY corrected! I found my tape of the Eastern card and Corey was INDEED on that card. His bout was so short, I forgot all about it.

My apologies!