Thursday, May 18, 2006

Beltway News and Notes!

Two-time US Middleweight champion Franchon Crews of Baltimore will be one of 10 women representing the United States at the Pan American Amateur Boxing Tournament in Buenos Aires, Argentina May 30-June 8.

Crews, who trains out of the UMAR Gym in Baltimore, is ranked number one in the country for her weight class.

Don't forget about the big amateur show put together by Jake "The Snake" Smith on Wednesday, May 24 at Martin's West in Woodlawn. I'm arranging for an audio interview with Smith either later today or tomorrow.

I have not received any update on the condition of Boxing Information Center founder Nat Williams, who suffered a stroke hours prior to the start of the Capitol Gloves last Saturday. At last word, Williams was recovering but was suffering some memory loss. I'll keep you posted.

On the pro side, two Beltway Boxers suffered setbacks in recent bouts. New Carrollton, MD junior middleweight Shawn "The Heat" Garnett returned to the ring after an almost two-year absence. His return was not successful, unfortunately as he lost a six-round unanimous decision to undefeated Jo Jo Dan of Toronto, CA on May 16 in Montreal. Garnett is now 10-3-1, three KO's. Dan is 14-0 with seven KO's.

Earlier this month, light heavyweight Andre "Da Heat" Hemphill of Woodbridge, VA was stopped in the third round by veteran James Lubwama in Philadelphia. The loss evens Hemphill's record at 4-4 with two KO's.

By the way, I reported earlier this month that Great Falls, VA junior middleweight Jimmy Lange would be returning in a bout slated for tonight in New York. Well, that will not happen. Lange told me this week that promoters for that card could not find an opponent for him. Lange said he is hoping to return in either June or July.

However, I am getting word of a most interesting comeback slated for the very near future. Because I can't verify the person, I won't give his name. All I will tell you is the following:

1. He's a former world champion.

2. He was one of the most popular boxers the Beltway has ever seen.

As soon as I can confirm this comeback, you will be the first to know.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know who it is! But I won't say. I have an opponent for him if Mr. Pat Panella will approve the bout! Keep up the good work Gary. Thanks, Joe Hensley

Anonymous said...

Lets play trivia, give us a hint, haha

Bull

Anonymous said...

No secret here! It's Simon Brown.

Gary Digital Williams said...

That is incorrect.

Anonymous said...

Maurice Blocker

Tim

Gary Digital Williams said...

I can confirm that it is not Maurice Blocker.

skinnyscott said...

Boone Pultze would be my guess.