Monday, November 21, 2005

Johnson, Joppy Looking for Last Chance at Glory!

In the last few weeks, I had conversations with two of DC's finest boxers, Mark "Too Sharp" Johnson and William Joppy. They are still active and they are looking for one last shot at championship glory. The following article came as a result of those conversations.

In the post-Sugar Ray Leonard era, only three boxers from Washington, DC have won three world titles: Simon Brown, Mark “Too Sharp” Johnson and William Joppy. Since Brown retired from boxing in 2000, that leaves Johnson and Joppy still active with dreams of winning a fourth world crown. And plans are being made by both men to achieve that goal.

For Johnson, the first African-American and second American to win a world flyweight title, the opportunity to win a fourth title may come early in 2006. Negotiations are underway for Johnson to challenge Jhonny Gonzalez for the WBO Bantamweight title on February 25 on the undercard of the Fernando Vargas-Shane Mosley bout in Los Angeles, CA. The bout against Gonzalez was originally scheduled for September 2005 when both men were battling to earn a title shot against then-champion Ratanachai Sor Vorapin. However, Johnson suffered an arm injury. Gonzalez eventually knocked out Vorapin in the seventh round on October 29 to win the WBO Bantamweight title.

Ironically, Johnson (44-4, 28 KO’s) defeated the same Vorapin by unanimous decision in April 1999 to win his second world title, the vacant IBF Super Flyweight title. When many boxing experts thought Johnson’s career was over, he won the WBO Super Flyweight title with a majority decision over Fernando Montiel in August 2003. Johnson lost his title to Ivan Hernandez by eight-round KO in September 2004, the last time Johnson was in action.

Johnson said this bout will be another opportunity to shock the boxing world.

“I know a lot of people think I can’t do this,” Johnson said. “But I’m ready to go. I don’t think Gonzalez thinks he can beat me, so I’m ready to win my fourth title.”

If the bout stays in Los Angeles and Johnson wins, it will be Johnson’s second title victory in Southern California. Johnson won his first title in May of 1996 in nearby Anaheim, CA with a stunning first-round knockout over Francisco Tejedor for the vacant IBF Flyweight title.

For Joppy, plans aren’t as concrete. The former three-time WBA Middleweight champion is looking to move up to the Super Middleweight division and his target is the man some feel is the best in that division: undefeated IBF and IBO world champion Jeff “Left Hook” Lacy.

Joppy, who lost two of his last three bouts to former undisputed middleweight champion Bernard Hopkins and current undisputed middleweight champ Jermain Taylor, blames his recent misfortune in the ring to inactivity.

“I wasn’t at my best,” Joppy said. “If you give me some fights and keep me active, Jeff Lacy can’t touch me. I will make Jeff Lacy look stupid.

“For real, Jeff Lacy’s a cream puff,” Joppy said. “And he hasn’t been hit either.”

Joppy (35-4-1, 26 KO’s) said he bases these comments on personal experience. Joppy sparred with Lacy in 2001 when he was preparing for his bout against Howard Eastman for the vacant WBA title in November of that year. Joppy went on to win a close majority decision over Eastman.

“I know he’s better now, more confident, he’s a world champion,” Joppy said. “When I boxed him, the left hooks weren’t even there. I don’t know why they call him ‘left hook.’ He doesn’t even throw them. We sparred for three days straight and he couldn’t take it.”

“All I have to do is get my body right and I’ll show the world,” Joppy said.

Joppy added that another title run is very important to him.

“It’s very important because something’s missing,” Joppy said. “I feel like I have more to prove. I’m still healthy and I still have more to prove. The Fat Lady hasn’t sung yet.”

Apparently, Joppy will have to play a waiting game when it comes to Lacy. Reports are circulating that Lacy will finally get his shot at WBO Super Middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe on February 4 in Cardiff, Wales. When asked about who would win that bout, Joppy answered with a scenario that may make the bout he’s looking for impossible.

“If the bout goes 12 rounds, I go with Calzaghe,” Joppy said. “As long as Calzaghe stays away from Lacy’s big punch, I think Calzaghe beats him. I think Calzaghe wins a 12-round decision.”

I think it is safe to say that both men have their work cut out for them. Johnson has not done well in his two bouts at bantamweight and neither Johnson nor Joppy have been active enough. I wish them both well, but the quest both men have undertaken may not be pretty.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff Lacy a 'cream puff'? Yeah, okay.

Really dig your site Digital. Yo, whatever happened to Clearance Vinson? I know he had a couple losses, but the man has some skill.
Guzz

Gary Digital Williams said...

Ross, I think you're right. A proposed matchup between Sharmba and Chop Chop is probably a pipe dream for the exact reason you state. I hope, though both men could swallow their pride and make that happen. It would be a great bout for DC.

Unfortunately, I think that bout may go the way of Joppy-Holmes: It may never happen.

Guzz: I'm not sure what's going on with Clarence Vinson. I haven't heard anything about him since his last loss. When I find out, I'll let you know.

Thank you both for writing.