Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Upcoming Beltway Boxing Cards!

Here is what's coming up in Boxing Along The Beltway:

August 19 and 20: The Mayor's Cup Amateur Boxing Tournament -- Kennedy Recreation Center, 7th & P Streets, NW

Normally, I don't talk about a lot of amateur cards (primarily because I don't have time to go to a lot of them, unfortunately), but this is a very special card. Next to the Golden Gloves, the Mayor's Cup is the most important amateur card in DC. Boxers from up and down the East Coast as well along the Beltway participate in this event. It is a lot of fun.

Hopefully, one of the participants this year will be a young man named Gary Russell, Jr. I recently talked about who are the best prospects along the Beltway. I would have put Gary on that list except for two things:

1. Gary's not a pro.

2. Gary's only 13 years old.

But anyone who has seen him will tell you that Gary has skills far beyond his years. I first saw him at an event called the Platinum Gloves. Gary was nine years old and his performance was so spectacular that he was named the best boxer of the tournament. Since that time, he has won two national Golden Gloves in his age group. If he can stay focused and not let outside distractions get to him, he could go a long way in the sport.

What will help him is the fact that he comes from a boxing family. Gary's older brother is a pro named Gary "Fast Hands" Jones (20-2, eight knockouts, but has been inactive since 2003) His younger brother is another talented kid named Gary A. Russell (why they are all named Gary is beyond me, although it is a nice name. I should know.) Also he has a great trainer in Barry Hunter of the Headbangers boxing club. Hunter also trains Anthony and Lamont Peterson who are true prospects to watch (see earlier post).

September 17 -- "The Battle of Virginia" -- The Patriot Center, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA

That is the card referenced in an earlier post ("Can Virginia Make It Happen?" July 30). I will post the entire card when I get more information.

September 29 -- Ballroom Boxing -- Michael's Eighth Avenue, Glen Burnie, MD

Promoter Scott Wagner starts his 12th season of great boxing action. Right now, it is still the best place to see a live boxing card along the Beltway.

There will be more coming up in the fall. Stay tuned!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a fight in Ocean City coming up, too.

Gary Digital Williams said...

Thank you for reminding me. Promoter Jake Smith does have an amateur show in Ocean City on August 13.

Anonymous said...

I believe the show in VA is on the 17th.

Anonymous said...

Not exactly the beltway but there's a show in Richmond headlined by Mitch "Blood" Green, yeah... him again.

Gary Digital Williams said...

You are right. The show is on the 17th. I will make that edit.

I don't usually include Richmond since I don't get down there often. But thanks for telling me and if I hear of any local people on that show, I will post the info.

skinnyscott said...

Maybe it's pro-am


Convention Center, Ocean City, Maryland, USA
Date: Saturday, 13th August, 2005
Commission: Maryland State Athletic Commission
Promoter: Baltimore Pro Boxing
Tickets: (410) 375-9175


Steve Wheeler v Eddie Otts

Gary Digital Williams said...

Unless Jake Smith's website is not up to date, the show is listed as strictly an amateur card in Ocean City.

Anonymous said...

Teddy Reid is supposed to fight Verno Phillips on Oct. 8th.

Gary Digital Williams said...

Thanks for the tip. I've got a message into Teddy's manager on that.

Will that be on the Corrales-Castillo undercard? If not, that bout will get very little publicity.

skinnyscott said...

Kay Koroma is also supposed to be making his debut on the Patriot Center card.

Gary Digital Williams said...

Thanks Skinnyscott, although I must admit, I am not familiar with him.

skinnyscott said...

kay Koroma has been an excellent amateur fighter down in VA. Only reason you may have not heard of him is he has had the misfortune of being in the same weightclass as Lamont Peterson. He actually knocked Orazio robinson out cold a few years back.

Gary Digital Williams said...

Thanks for the info! I definitely look forward to seeing him.

I'm hoping to get the entire card listed on the site next week.

Anonymous said...

Another correction is that Barry Hunter does not and has never trained Gary Russell, Jr. In fact, Gary Russell, Sr. has always been Gary Russell, Jr.'s trainer along with Herb Martin. There are 4 Gary Russells in total that box ages ranging from 9 - 17 that are a product of this stable.

Gary Digital Williams said...

My apologies on that. I was informed with different information.